I thought I'd kill it and then worry about what kind of spider it is or if it is even dangerous! Is this a normal response? Or am I the weird one??
My MIL informed me that this is, I mean WAS, a Writing Spider. Yes, I killed it! Most of the time, if it moves in my yard and it's name isn't Toby, I kill it! Snakes, bugs, spiders, annoying squirrels, neighborhood cats... JUST KIDDING.
I do kill snakes and spiders no matter what!
Anyway, I Googled "writing spider" and found some information on a website called Dave's Garden. Evidently, many people get very upset when people kill these spiders.
This was posted by a concerned friend of beneficial bugs:
Attn Danielle2459 and anyone else who's ever 'terminated' a beneficial bug:There are many beneficial bugs who will react defensively if disturbed in a fashion that makes them feel threatened. The Argiopes are NON-toxic and from what I've read and personally experienced, it's practically unheard of for them to bite. Consider the 'BEE'; if they feel harrassed or threatened, they'll sting---otherwise they just go about their BUZZness. I love watching bees at work--and I love garden spiders--the bigger the better. I frequently go on 'Bug Safaris' to capture the beneficial ones (e.g., spiders, ladybugs, ladybug larvae, etc.) and release them onto the balcony for them to perform their respective jobs.I'm sorry that your mom was bitten, although it's also possible that she got pierced by one of the spines on the Argiope's legs. I think it's a sign of ignorance to willy-nilly exterminate these creatures just because one appears to have defended itself. What a lot of bug-fearing people do with spiders and other crawlies that they abhor is either gently pick them up with a tissue or something and relocate them; or, if you can't abide even a tissue's breadth of distance between yourself and the spider, you can--also using some gentle material or tool (like a wooden spoon or a Qtip, for example)--gently maneuver them into a container of some sort, and then transport them to a location where they can continue to do their thing and you feel unharrassed!It's baaaaad to kill these things for reasons pointed out by many others who added comments here. Also, apropos of children, they should be taught to understand and RESPECT these critters, not to FEAR them. They should be taught to understand that these creatures are fragile, not toys, and that they have their place on our planet, just as we do. Co-existence, tolerance and understanding are some of the key words here. Some of you folks probably think I'm way-over-the-top here, but I can't help it! I'm passionate about educating humans to learn about and coexist with our fellow other-species---particularly the beneficial ones!


5 comments:
glad to know you kill snakes. now i know who to call if my hubby's not home. FYI, I've never come across a real snake (outside of captivity, of course). you can probably hear me knocking on wood excessively.
Oh brother...people who are into animals and bugs annoy me. I'm a self-proclaimed Cruella deVil. I'm with you...if it moves in my yard (and isn't an annoying black chihuhahua) I don't like it. Not even a cute little bunny.
Girl you have been postin like crazy! Where have I been the past 24 hours????? Are you taking your Ambian (spelling???).
Always!
I kill nasty things too! And that Spider is NASTY!!!! Although Spiders don't bother me as much as snake, rats, mice, things that slither or are big and furry! YUCK!!! I have no heart for things like that.
Post a Comment